Competition outline for 2013
The Brief • Design a sculpture suitable for display outdoors
We are looking for proposals that demonstrate the creative process clearly. As short-listed sculptures will be placed outdoors, participants must address issues regarding maintenance, durability and corrosion in their choice of materials. A series of hand drawn sketches to show the creative process of the sculptural design must be submitted with the proposal.
Ten short-listed sculptors will receive £1,000 each to create their final piece (this amount must cover all material costs for a new sculpture and all transportation costs to and from the Broomhill site). The final ten sculptures will be exhibited at Broomhill Sculpture Park from June 2013, as part of the North Devon Festival celebrations.
The judges’ winner will receive £3,500. This piece will become part of the Broomhill Art and Sculpture Foundation collection.
The ‘Public Speaks’ winner will receive £1,500. This title is given to the sculpture that receives the most public votes during the exhibition period. Voting will take place at Broomhill and online.
All ten short-listed sculptures will be included in the Broomhill National Sculpture Prize catalogue, which is due for release in the Summer of 2013. They will also be displayed on the Broomhill website.
- Stage 1: Registration from 01 Nov 2012 - 31 Jan 2013 (Closed 01 Feb 2013)
- Stage 2: Proposals to be submitted from 11-16 Feb 2013
- Stage 3: Ten finalists to be announced in Mar 2013
- Stage 4: Exhibition at Broomhill from 01 Jun 2013 (final judging stage commences)
- Stage 5: Winners announced in Oct 2013
- NSP 2014: registration opens in Nov 2013
The 2013 Competition Entry Procedure
- Fill in our online form
- You will then be emailed a registration form to print. Complete this and attach it to a cheque for the required amount made payable to ‘Broomhill Art and Sculpture Foundation’ and send both to: Registration, Broomhill Art Hotel, Muddiford Road, Barnstaple, EX31 4EX. The deadline for receipt of the registration form and cheque is 31 Jan 2013.
- Once we have received your registration form and payment, you will be sent a confirmation email containing information on how to submit your proposal. Proposals will need to include: Completed proposal form, artist’s CV, images of past work, a series of hand drawn sketches to show the creative process of the sculptural design. We also encourage you to include a maquette.
- We will be accepting proposals by post from 11-16 Feb 2013. Anything received before or after these dates will not be accepted (entry fees will not be refunded).
- If short-listed for Stage 4 of the competition you will be notified in Mar 2013. If selected, you will then be required to organise the delivery of your own work to Broomhill by Wed 15 May 2013 and install your piece within a two-day time period.
- The ten short-listed sculptures must be available to the Broomhill Art and Sculpture Foundation until Apr 2014. The overall winning piece will remain as part of the Broomhill Art and Sculpture Foundation collection.